When planning your wedding there are many aspects to consider; finding a yummy caterer, finding a photographer near me, renting a venue, ordering flowers and of course don't forget your honeymoon. Your honeymoon is the one trip you may have dreamt about your entire lives. Take a look at my top 10 tips for planning your honeymoon:
1) If you don’t need more linens and appliances, consider registering your honeymoon. Friends and family enjoy contributing to your honeymoon experience, and it also helps stretch your budget.
2) If planning your honeymoon is becoming more of a chore than something you and your fiancé looked forward to planning, utilizing a travel agent who specializes in honeymoons can take the work and stress out of the equation. Consider an all-inclusive resort where the only thing you will need to worry about is which restaurant you are going to for dinner.
3) Resorts are not equal. Keep in mind that there IS a big difference in resorts, even within 5 star resorts when it comes to the ambiance, accommodations, food, and service.
4) If you only have 4 to 5 days, choose a destination that doesn’t require an entire day or overnight flight to reach. There are even a few destinations that offer direct flights. And don’t forget about the travel time from the airport to the resort. Some transfers can take 1 – 2 hours. Your time is precious – spend your time at the resort, not on a shuttle bus.
5) Don’t forget about trip insurance. Policies vary in coverage but most offer refunds if an emergency should arise, and some allow cancellations for any reason. in addition, policies offer coverage while you are traveling giving you peace of mind. If you are going during hurricane season, not only will having insurance protect your investment but it can assist in rescheduling. Once you have purchased trip insurance…
6) Don’t stress over the weather. Many times the weather forecast calls for rain everyday, only to have it rain for a short period of time in the afternoon or at night while the rest of the day is sunny. If you are going to the tropics, it rains. That’s what makes it beautiful!
7) Your honeymoon is the one time in your life to splurge – the ambiance of an adults-only resort can make a big difference – no kids; no groups – mainly just couples getting married, celebrating their anniversary or honeymooning. If you are a little short on your budget, consider a honeymoon registry (see Tip #1)
8) Make a list of what is important to both of you for discussion purposes. Are you foodies? Do you want to do some sightseeing or stay at the resort? Do you want enjoy golfing, the spa or a fitness center? If you are planning a beach destination, will you swim in the ocean, pool, or both. Are you party animals or beach bums or a combination of the two?
9) Don’t get overwhelmed in choosing the perfect honeymoon destination and resort. A travel agent who specializes in honeymoons can match your wants to the perfect destination and resort after talking with you for only 10 minutes or so.
10) Save by booking your honeymoon early. Not only do prices go up but there becomes less availability on the flights and at the resorts. Deposits can be as low as $200 and the final payment is usually not due until 45 days before departure. The airlines are charging a fee for more seats, making assigned seats harder to come by. And don’t make the mistake of selecting basic economy fares where you can’t pre-assign your seats. The last thing you want on your honeymoon is you sitting in row 8A and your fiancé in row 42B!